Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Podcasting con español

I remember my first experience with Podcasting and unfortunately, it started AND ended with one particular assignment. Five years ago, while completing my undergraduate studies at Nazareth College of Rochester, I was asked to create a Podcast expressing my opinions on the obstacles many students face in terms of literacy acquisition. I was to interview current teaching professionals and students, research tirelessly and ultimately organize my thoughts towards the issue in a 20-minute long Podcast. I found this project extremely difficult because I hadn't even heard of a Podcast, much less worked with one. Sadly, after the creation of said Podcast, I haven't touched the technology since.

This week I was somewhat apprehensive to revisit Podcasting. However, to my surprise, it has come a LONG way over just five short years. Podcasting is now a popular alternative to regular methods of broadcasting and just about anyone can have a voice about any topic of interest. What's more? There is a wide variety of Podcasts that can be downloaded virtually anywhere, on any mobile device. I now better understand and appreciate the "hype" of Podcasting.

In terms of using Podcasts in my own classroom, I looked to iTunes for inspiration*; one particular set of podcasts called "Learn to Speak Spanish with Discover Spanish", walks students through the basics. The host of the podcast, Johnny Spanish, and his amiga, Cristina, first pronounce common expressions in Spanish and then pause to allow students to practice on their own. "Lesson 1- Discover Spanish" focuses on basic greetings. I would use this particular podcast as a homework assignment during the first week of school with my Spanish 2 classes. Students would have to listen to the podcast and have their parent or guardian verify completion (in writing) and with a signature. Furthermore, students would complete a worksheet asking them to reflect on what they learned, what they found interesting and what continued to give them trouble. I believe these podcasts would supplement any instruction that took place in the classroom and serve as a great opportunity to review the essentials.
*There is no direct link for "Lesson 1- Discover Spanish" when accessed through iTunes. To access this podcast through iTunes type the podcast title under the search option and all Discover Spanish lessons will appear (for free). An iTunes account is required.
Users may also visit http://languagetreks.com/individual/podcasts to access the same podcast and in addition, units 1-6.


No comments:

Post a Comment