However, I can't deny that "Shift Happens", even to me.
While watching the first video titled "Educational Change Challenge", I have to admit that I didn't experience much emotion at all; overall, the video failed to elicit any kind of strong reaction to the message that we, as educators, face many challenges in teaching 21st century learners. Although I absolutely agree with Darren Cannell's argument, how does it really affect me? How does it affect my students and my classroom? I believe I get along just fine with my moderate exposure to technology. Again, I know that I cannot approach my teaching philosophy with a "one size fits all" mentality, but is technology really that important to solid instruction? After watching "Did You Know?/Shift Happens", yes, it really is.
What struck me most? Despite the fact that this video was updated to version 6 in 2012, the information is already grotesquely outdated. Most, if not all of the statistics are even more incredible. So much can and has changed in just a year's time. The ironic part? This viral video about the rapid evolution of technology can't even keep up with itself. That's proof right there that shift does happen, and it happens quickly.
I can no longer underestimate the influence that technology has on my life. I am currently teaching a group of students that has never known a life without technology at their fingertips. And even though I think I am resisting or fighting this influence by not utilizing my upgrade, I really do need to welcome and collaborate with this technological shift/trend. As an effective educator, I need to live and operate where my students "exist". I need to step outside of my comfort zone, challenging my beliefs and biases towards technology; just because some people misuse technology or rather overuse technology, doesn't mean that I can't use it for "good".Now, more than ever, I am inspired to reevaluate my opinion of technology and the classroom. I look forward to discovering new ways to enhance my instruction and to spark creative curiosity in my students. I now welcome the challenges when "shift happens".

I also watch the video "Educational Change Challenge", I think the form of education change a lot due to technology. Frankly speaking, I am the one who might not survive without technology. I agree with you that as instructor, we can not overuse technology. I think your what you concern really happens in real life.
ReplyDeleteI am also one to resist these rapid technological changes. My students could not even recognize the early generation iPod I used up until a few years ago...It is wild to think about how truly different our students' reality is than our own. They cannot imagine life without X, Y and Z (and to an extent neither can we, its just that for us its A, B and C). I really appreciate your honest opinion - and its one that all educators must embrace. We need to be open to changes - or all kinds, not just technology. And we definitely need to seek ways of using it for good. I also like the title!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your very honest post. I think that you are right to be skeptical of "everything" new, but also correct in keeping an open mind to see if the "new" can serve a useful purpose for you and your students.
ReplyDeleteI applaud you for resisting the iPhone and I believe that we probably share a lot of the same opinions and anxiety associated with the onward march of technology in all its facets. I also agree with Liz's opinion that our future students' reality will be so different to what we experienced as learners- this gap of relation between future teachers and students represents the reason for keeping up with technology to be so important.
ReplyDelete